Eight-year Grammar School
The PRIGO Medical and Science Grammar School is a secondary school which initiated its activity in 1994.
The school provides education in the eight-year and four-year Grammar School.
Eight-year Grammar School – Grammar School programme 79-41-K/81
The programme of general eight-year Grammar School enjoys the advantages of studying at a multi-year Grammar School that focuses on gifted students and their preparation which is more comprehensive, continuous and long-term than in the case of typical four-year Grammar Schools. Multi-year high schools also benefit from the synergies and transfer of experience among different age groups of children and students. Eight-year Grammar Schools are usually applied for by more gifted and able pupils of primary schools, who usually stand out among their peers in the class. The admission procedure for talented children is not so stressful as in the case of four-year Grammar Schools because if they fail, they still have an option of applying for the six-year or four-year Grammar Schools.
The curriculum and the school educational programme can be downloaded here (available in the Czech language only).
Admission requirements for the 1st round
The entrance examination consists of an assessment of the following parts:
1) the result of the uniform (state) entrance examination (max. 100 points)
2) the result of the school entrance examination (max. 66 points).
In total, the candidate can achieve a maximum of 166 points for the entrance examination. For the part of the uniform (state) part of the entrance examination, the candidate can achieve a maximum of 100 points and for the school part of the entrance examination, the candidate can achieve a maximum of 66 points.
Recognition of the school part of the examination
The entrance examination may be recognized (waived) and the candidate receives the maximum of 66 points without having to sit the General Study Prerequisites test, if the candidate meets at least one of the criteria listed below. In the case of an application for recognition of the school part of the entrance examination on the basis of points 4-8 , it is a necessary condition to attach a Declaration on honour along with required attachments (can be downloaded here).
Criteria for recognition of the school part of the examination
1) the average school results from all subjects in the fourth and the fifth year of the elementary school did not exceed the value of 1.3 (for both 4th and 5th grade, only the school results for the first semester are presented)
2) the average school results from all subjects in the fourth or the fifth year of the elementary school did not exceed the value of 1.2 (for both 4th and 5th grade, only the school results for the first semester are presented)
3) the average school results of the three following subjects (Mathematics, Natural History, National History and Geography) in the fifth year of the elementary school did not exceed the value of 1.0 and the total school results from all subjects in the fourth and the fifth year did not exceed the value of 1.5 (for both 4th and 5th grade, only the school results for the first semester are presented)
4) placed first down to fifth in a regional or district round of a mathematics, chemistry, physics, geography or astronomy competition, or alternatively a competition in Czech language or an equivalent competition announced by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports or by schools (such as the Maths Kangaroo, IT Merit Badge)
5) passing a certified English, German or Spanish language examination at Level A2 and higher (e.g. KET, PET, FIN in DEUTSCH 2, FLYERS)
6) based on the current and documented membership in Mensa Czech Republic (IQ value is greater than or equal to 130)
7) placed in the top 30% of a logic competition organized by Mensa Czech Republic in a regional round at least once in the course of studies at the elementary school
8) based on the decision made by the headmistress of PRIGO Medical and Science Grammar School by exercising discretion in the recognition of type-equivalent or similar achievements listed in Points 4) and 5), worthy of special consideration
For the school year 2021/2022, the number of students admitted to the 8-year grammar school study programme equals 80.
The uniform (state) entrance exam consists of two didactic tests from a) Czech language and literature (sample for 8-year grammar school here and 4-year grammar school here) and b) Mathematics (sample for 8-year grammar school here and 4-year grammar school here). The maximum number of points awarded for each of the didactic tests is 50 points. The highest score for the entrance examination is therefore 100 points in the case of error-free answers in both tests. The school part of the entrance examination then consists of a test of General Study Prerequisites – OSP (samples for 8-year grammar school here and 4-year grammar school here). Depending on the test result, the candidate can get up to 66 points for the 8-year grammar school. Information about the preparatory courses for the school part of the entrance examination can be found here.
If the candidate is evaluated based on his / her school reports, only the first semester reports from the last two years are presented. If the applicant has not been evaluated in any of the evaluated periods by classification (grade) and only verbal evaluation has been used, the applicant will ask the primary school to provide the equivalent classification (grade). Pursuant to Section 51, Paragraph 3 of the Education Act, a primary school is obliged to transfer verbal evaluation to a classification by grade for the purposes of the admission procedure to a secondary school.
Candidates who take part in the 1st round of the entrance examination will be ranked according to the results of the entrance examination on the basis of the results of both parts of the entrance examination. Applicants who place between the 1st place to the place that corresponds to the order of the applicant who placed last within the capacity announced for the 1st round of the admission procedure for the given grammar school, will be admitted. Candidates who achieve the same score as the last mentioned candidate will also be accepted. In the event that candidates place in the same place, the ranking will be decided on the basis of their school reports.
You can find more information on our Grammar School here.